This website uses cookies. Read More

How do I get maternity pay?

In order to get maternity pay you must get a Mat B1 certificate signed by your midwife or your GP. Give this certificate to your employer and ask them if you qualify for enhanced maternity pay or Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP). They will explain their scheme, if they have one, or offer you SMP. 

If you earn too little, or have not worked long enough for your employer to qualify for either of these schemes, apply for maternity allowance instead. If you are self employed you should also apply for Maternity Allowance. This is the link to apply for the Maternity Allowance claim form and guidance notes:

Use our Calculator to find out what your maternity pay will be.